Budget Scuba dive tour – Travel on Compass Cruises, reef cruise for the day as a certified scuba diver and enjoy one or two dives at pristine outer Great Barrier Reef locations!
Scuba dive with a buddy or pay an extra $10 per person for a guided scuba dive with our wonderful crew and be shown the very best of the Great Barrier Reef. Travelling alone? The Compass Cruises team will organise a buddy for you on the day if you wish to dive un-guided.
Budget scuba dive is for qualified divers who hold a scuba diving licence. Not a certified diver but still want to go scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef? Click here to see Compass Resort Diving Package for ‘no-experience necessary’ scuba diving.
Your Great Barrier Reef Cruise Day Includes:Tour
- Two spectacular Outer Great Barrier Reef locations
- 1 certified scuba dive -option to select 2 dives upon booking
- Unlimited snorkelling
- Up to 5 hours at the reef
- Delicious buffet lunch
- Snorkelling & scuba diving equipment
- Wine, cheese & biscuits on return journey
- Complimentary tea & coffee
- Experienced & helpful crew
- Guided dives for certified divers
- Glass Bottom Boat Tours
- Bus transfers from accommodation to the Cairns Marina
- Wetsuit hire
- Prescription mask if required
- Fully licensed bar serving soft drinks, chocolate, chips, alchohol and souvenirs
What to bring on our Budget Scuba dive tour
- Cash or credit card for purchases
- Suncream, hat & towel, swimming clothes
- Proof of certification if you are a certified scuba diver
* Please advise of dietary requirements upon booking.
* Scuba diving is subject to age and medical restrictions. Please read the terms and conditions prior to booking your trip. Some medical conditions and/or medications may prevent from participation in scuba diving activities.
* Certified divers are required to provide proof of certification – card or logbook – to the Dive Instructor on the day. For assistance with lost or missing card verification, please contact our friendly office team in advance who will do all they can to verify your diver rating, by emailing [email protected] or calling
+61 7 4031 7217.
- 07:30 – Board the boat Compass, at Cairns Marina ‘Marlin Wharf Berth 18’, for check-in.
- View map to Cairns Marlin Marina
- 08:00 –Approximately depart Cairns to the Outer Great Barrier Reef. Safety talk, snorkel and dive briefings
- 10:30 – Arrive at your first Great Barrier Reef Location
- 12:30 – BBQ Lunch with fresh salads
- 13:00 – Cruise to 2nd Reef Location
- 15:30 – Depart the Great Barrier Reef
- 17:30 – Approximate Arrival time at Cairns Marina
- Up to 4 hours at two Outer Great Barrier Reef locations
- One Certified Scuba Dive for Certified Divers (qualified) with ‘Open Water Licence’ or higher. Option to add additional dive. Scuba equipment included.
- Unlimited Snorkelling. Snorkelling mask, snorkel and fins included
- Free buoyancy aids – snorkelling vests and noodles
- Delicious BBQ Lunch with fresh salads (Dietary requirements are catered for: vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and food allergies – please advise us upon booking)
- Fruit Platters while boarding. Tea & coffee available all day while boat stationary. Water fountain to fill your water bottle
- Glass of wine, cheese & crackers on return journey
- Assistance for non-confident swimmers from friendly crew
- Stinger suits are included with your trip during jellyfish season in the tropics
- Boomnetting – “The Wild Ride” (weather permitting)
- Reef tax, fuel levy & national park fees for visiting the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park are included in this trip cost
- Second Scuba Dive
- Dive Guide for a guided tour around the reef. Scuba dive with a buddy or pay for a guided scuba dive with one of our wonderful crew. Travelling alone? The Compass Cruises team will happily organise a buddy for you on the day if you wish to dive without a guide.
- Glass Bottom Boat Tour (weather permitting)
- Wetsuit Hire (Great for flotation and warmth)
- Underwater Digital Camera Hire
- Snack Bar Purchases: Soft drinks, chocolate, chips, alcohol etc.
- Prescription Mask Hire if you require stronger lenses to see (contact lenses can be worn in most circumstances)
- Bus transfers from accommodation to and from the Cairns Marina
What to bring
- Proof of qualification as a Certified Diver
- Cash or credit card for purchases
- Swimming Clothes, Towel, Hat, Sunglasses, Sun Cream
How to get there
Compass Cruises departs from
Cairns Marina: ‘Marlin Wharf berth 18’ View map to Cairns Marlin Marina
Boarding commences at 7:30 am for an 8:00 am departure, directly on the boat ‘Compass’
Arrive back to Cairns Marina at approximately 5:30pm
Important Information for Scuba Diving
We have a passion to show you Australia’s Great Barrier Reef so please make sure you understand the scuba diving laws.
Queensland, Australia has some of the strictest scuba diving rules in the world but also the safest scuba diving record. We are regulated by the Queensland Government Code of Practice and comply with all rules including medical as is the law.
To avoid disappointment on your day of travel we strongly recommend that all of our passengers complete our dive medical questionnaire prior to booking as some medical conditions, age and / or medications may prevent you from scuba diving. It is always our mission to provide our passengers with the very best Great Barrier Reef experience.
We are very happy to help you with any questions you may have. Please Contact our office on 07 4037 2700 or email us
Or alternatively, you may like to consult your own Doctor for a Dive Medical using the Australian Standard Forms ‘AS.4005.1
Flying after Scuba Diving
For a single no decompression scuba dive, you should not fly or go to altitude for at least 18 hours after a scuba dive. For multiple dives you should not fly for 24 hours after your last dive.
If Skydiving or Hot Air Ballooning you must wait 24 hours after your dive.
We recommend waiting a minimum 24 hours whenever possible